Friday, November 5, 2010

Friday Flashback ... Dos.

So, last week I let y'all know that I'll be dedicating a small portion of my Friday day or night to re-remembering a song that may have been unfairly relegated to a forgotten, dusty, dingy corner of my memory and music collection. Call it an obsession with memory, but I'm getting a real kick out of it so far.

This week, I give you "Awaiting on You All" by George Harrison (otherwise known as my favourite Beatle).



To be honest, I didn't even notice the religious subject matter of this song until an almost embarrassing number of listens. I'm not a particularly religious person, and am not usually one to go out of my way to seek out Christian rock. Instead, I was drawn to the sheer joy of the music. There's really no denying George of that. It's an infectious song, nigh on impossible to resist. I adore all of George's "All Things Must Pass" record (required listening for any self-respecting fan of good music), but there really is something about "Awaiting On You All" that strikes a chord with me.

What does it make me think of? Driving back from a Christmas lunch with my family, of walking through my neighbourhood with Elvis my dog, on a sunny day and thankfully avoiding the sniffling and sneezing that usually comes with springtime.

The video I've included isn't of the album version, but rather a live performance by George from his Concert for Bangladesh (which is well worth checking out in itself). Because it's much more fun to watch George Harrison sing and play a guitar than watch an album cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment